Tuesday, March 23, 2010

new project, “52”

DSC00322 I’ve been thinking about this piece for about a year now, I still don’t have a solid title.  The original title was “52”, but I  knew that was just a working title.  The installation consists of fifty two carved figures each in a transparent acrylic box.  The figures are 9.5”/5”/2.25”, they will fit in the boxes snugly.  When installed the boxes will lay on the floor in rows of four. DSC00302

I roughed out each figure on the band saw and now have begun carving the details.  Each figure is identical with one exception, each will have a different facial expression and none will have eyes.  I’ve ordered the acrylic for the boxes and will construct them soon.  With the price of the acrylic and the wood I figure this project will cost me about $800 to $1000 dollars to produce, I love it. DSC00324

This work is inspired by the Haida repatriation project and an interview I saw on T.V.  The Haida’s repatriated the remains of our ancestors from museums from around the world  and brought them back home to be buried.  In the interview I saw, a Haida woman was speaking of her experience of hearing voices in the halls where the Haida remains were being held.  I will talk more about this project as it unfolds

DSC00304

2 comments:

  1. beautiful bench and congrats on your upcoming attendance at Emily Carr

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best reliable hardwood floor sanding and floor installation services in Chicago North and West suburbs. Sanding Wood Floor installation and sanding. Wood floor polishing, sanding, staining, finishing, engineering, laminate, baseboard installation, baseshoe installation. flooring services

    ReplyDelete