Tuesday, May 5, 2015

3 years, an Epistemological Conundrum and much more

It took me over a year to complete but I finally finished Epistemological Conundrum.

"The studio audience cheers".

If you recall I needed a summer internship as an aspect of my Masters of Applied Arts program at Emily Carr University of Art and Design. I decided to teach a seven week directed studies class where I would teach 3 students some basic carving skills and we would do some work on a house post for the Aboriginal Gathering Place at ECUAD.

After the seven week course was done and we said our goodbyes, I did not work on it for over a year.

When the final day of carving came, it was anticlimactic to say the least.

It was a Wednesday afternoon, I had carved in the last detail and I was like, "Huh, I think I'm done". I literally said that out-loud to myself as I was the only one in the room.

The real rub was that it took 2 years to erect the totem pole and if finishing the project was anti-climactic, the unveiling was even more so.

Still some stories are about the journey and not the destination. I got to work with some amazing people; Agnes Wisden, Raven LeBlanc, Sarah Henekins, James Harry, Marc Anthony, William Calligan and Brenda Crabtree. I thank them all for their assistance.

In the time between finishing the totem pole and the public presentation of said totem pole I kept quite busy with private commissions, donated artworks for fundraisers and a few of my own projects, a few of which I've already blogged about.

Here are a few sketches from some private commissions I completed recently, I won't get into it because these art works no longer belong to me and they are not public art.

In 2014 I went to the Banff centre for an amazing artists residency and late in the year I had a couple of artworks collected by the National Gallery of Canada, but that is another blog for another time.

p.s. I did receive my Master of Applied Arts Degree in May of 2012. Tho while I do have a Masters degree I am still not a master carver (someday).

1 comment: